Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Gun Debate

It's no secret, I own a gun and I am also a member of the NRA. I am a member solely because I believe I have the right to protect my family.

I hear a lot in the news about proposed gun laws. Much emphasis is put into types of guns and the capacity of the magazines.

Lets compare guns to cars. For men, we love all forms of power. As a teenager, I wanted a Ford Mustang GT. I eventually got that vehicle. As a matter of fact, I got more than one. The first was an automatic and I grew bored of it after 6 months. The second was a 5 speed with enough horse power to get me in trouble. But fortunately for my mom, I had common sense. I kept that car for 10 years. If I would have had a bigger budget, I would have an Aston Martin or Ferrari . Both of these super cars are capable of 200+ miles an hour. Where could I possibly reach the potential of either car? Maybe a test track? It doesn't matter, the fact that people can't get the full potential out of a car like that doesn't keep people from buying them.

It's the same thing with guns? I have a full size 9mm that has a capacity of 18 plus 1. This is a semi automatic pistol. I have 19 chances to save a life. If the people in Washington have it their way, my clip will be illegal. How about comparing a assault rifle to a super car? More specific, I'm going to call a AR-15 .223 a assault rifle. Why does anyone need this type of gun? For the same reason that I saw a guy driving his Ferrari California Edition down the PCH in Malibu, CA. That guy will never reach the potential of that car, but he wanted it and got it. The AR-15 is not a cheap gun, but it's not the most expensive. It is a semi automatic rifle with high capacity options. It's a super car or hot rod in the gun world. What's the difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment